4 Tips to recruit top tech talent virtually
Table of Contents
A new survey has found out, since a couple of years ago, the number of technology companies that have decided to transition to a digital-only model has surged. This strategy enables these businesses to maintain their competitive edge and function effectively in the rapidly evolving tech space. However, in tandem with these significant shifts in how business is conducted, a new challenge emerged: maintaining an efficient recruitment process for software developers. While some tech firms were able to effectively begin using virtual hiring techniques, others ran into problems while attempting to shift their traditional recruitment processes online. This was because of excess applications, ghosting after interviews, network and technical difficulties etc.
What is virtual recruitment?
The process of hiring qualified individuals through the use of the internet is referred to as “virtual recruitment” or “virtual hiring”. In contrast to traditional hiring, this method uses several different recruitment technologies to conduct video interviews, online hiring events, and candidate assessments to keep efficiency levels high. In this article, let us look at the pros of hiring virtually and four tips to recruit top tech talent.
Benefits of virtual hiring for the tech workforce
- Exposure to a larger pool of applicants: The rise of virtual hiring addressed several issues and improved the hiring procedure. Because their immediate surroundings no longer constrain them and candidates from all over the world could be hired, technological enterprises could now draw from a larger pool of individuals. IT entrepreneurs broke down geographical restrictions to create a new market were scaling up was more affordable.
- Quick candidate screening: Through time-effective candidate screening techniques like one-way video interviews and online evaluation tools, virtual hiring also enabled digital organisations to hasten the hiring process.
- Improved candidate experience: Virtual hiring requires less administrative work for recruiters because candidates move through the process more rapidly. They can concentrate more on establishing connections with qualified candidates in this method, which would enhance the hiring process. While chatbots are constantly available to provide job seekers with answers to basic inquiries, social media, emails, and virtual event made it simpler for recruiters to get in touch with potential applicants.
- Efficient interview scheduling: Because remote hiring is done online, there is no need to reserve conference rooms or spend money on travel. Instead, recruiters may easily schedule online job interviews whenever it is convenient for them and the candidates.
- Reduced bias: The level of objectivity is one of the critical distinctions between in-person and online recruiting. Virtual recruitment, as opposed to in-person hiring, gives IT organisations a more diversified candidate pool by minimising bias. For instance, blind CV screening might let you focus on essential factors like qualifications and experience rather than applicants’ marital status or ethnic backgrounds. While video recording can lessen the impact of in-the-moment reactions and repair memory gaps when comparing applicants, skill assessment technologies can eliminate age and gender prejudice.
4 Tips to recruit top tech talent virtually
- Hold online recruitment campaigns
The use of recruitment events increases the talent pipeline, raises brand awareness, and establishes connections with potential candidates. IT companies are moving traditional recruitment events to virtual settings to keep these advantages.
Here are top 5 ideas for virtual hiring events you can use in your hiring plan.
- Expanding the talent pool is a breeze with the help of an online job fair. Candidates can learn more about your organisation during the job fair, and remote recruiters can evaluate resumes and perform screening interviews right there and then.
- Online info sessions are intended to educate prospective employees about the nuances of a profession and the industry in which your company operates. You can invite top-tier software developers of all skill levels, executives from your firm, HR professionals, and IT recruiters.
- Remote workshops rank among the most popular online hiring occasions. To help enthusiastic Tech talent secure a job in your organisation, you can give talks on resume writing or skill-building activities.
- Online hackathons can be an excellent resource for finding top-notch programmers for your remote team. These contests can help candidates exhibit their specialised knowledge and abilities.
- A virtual office tour is a fantastic way to showcase your business from the inside out (if you have a hybrid work format). In addition to providing a positive first impression of a typical workday, it also shows how your company’s corporate culture is put into practice.
- Launch an initiative to promote your company as an employer
Let’s assume, you want to grow your information technology company by setting up a remote development team in a different country. In that case, you will need to establish a solid reputation as an employer. When entering new markets, businesses may sometimes confront challenges that make recruitment time-consuming. Therefore, to minimise any difficulties in the recruitment process, you should make sure to run an employer branding campaign.
- Invest in technology that facilitates online recruiting
The ideas discussed above will only be successful if you leverage the necessary virtual recruiting tools. While transitioning to remote hiring, it is crucial to identify a set of technologies that can improve your recruiters’ performance and the results of virtual hiring.
- Create a program for virtual onboarding
Developing a virtual onboarding program is another tip for virtual recruitment. While if this process is complicated in person, moving it online only makes things more difficult. You can start by creating a customised virtual space where new hires can access information, business policies, training, etc.
Additionally, it would be best to develop policies to facilitate new hire authorisation for company email, HR software, and timesheet and project monitoring tools. Also, you can leverage online portals for new hire onboarding to keep them informed of any updates. The initial few days will require a lot of handholding for the new hires. To help the company’s virtual team manage that, communicate frequently and choose a supervisor who can explain the daily schedule.
The Final Word
For many businesses, notably IT and tech, the current reality of widespread remote employment is becoming the new normal. Regarding remote recruiting, things are sometimes complicated. Underperforming tools and software, collaboration and communication challenges, poor network connectivity, stringent security and compliance, and sluggish and old equipment can become a barrier for remote employees. Despite the technical nature of these issues, HR professionals may play a critical part in ensuring a successful remote tech hiring process.
It’s safe to say that remote recruiting is here to stay. Access, speed, and convenience may significantly improve a candidate’s interview experience while also assisting managers in making better, more informed recruiting decisions. Leverage these four tips to locate to locate and employ the greatest and brightest individuals, remote recruitment.